Rick Larson is the Wolves U19 Academy coach and member of the Wolves Academy staff. This is Rick's second tour with the Wolves as a longtime member of the Livonia and Southeast Michigan soccer community. In addition to the Wolves Academy staff Rick has been the head coach of the Schoolcraft College Men's Soccer program since 2006. Rick prides himself on coaching success at all levels, genders and ages of soccer because he's a players first coach, understanding each player has unique qualities that contribute to the success of the team. Rick's U19 Wolves Academy and Schoolcraft college teams have had success at the highest levels and Rick takes just as much pride teaching the youth player in a local league skills and a love for the game of soccer.
Rick began coaching student athletes at Brother Rice HS and Madonna University. After success as an assistant at Brother Rice, Rick led the Bishop Foley Catholic High School girls to seven Catholic League Championships and 5 MHSAA State Titles in seven seasons while in charge. In 2006 Rick became the first coach to lead two different girls soccer programs to title game appearance. During his time as the men's assistant at Madonna, Rick accepted the challenge to begin the women's program in 1998. In three years Rick led the 2000 team to a school record for wins in a season (19), the NAIA Final Four and that team became the first team to be inducted into the Madonna University Hall of Fame in 2012. Also in 2000, Rick led the Michigan U18 Girls ODP, the roster included 2 time Olympic gold medalist Lindsay Tarpley, to Michigan's first ODP national championship. While at Oakland University, Rick helped guide the women to one Mid Conn title and two NCAA tournament appearances to go along with a program high 16 wins in 2001.
In 2002 Rick began a 16 year run with the Livonia Soccer Club, serving numerous roles that included coaching development and player development initiatives. Rick was instrumental in uniting Livonia and its soccer community, first in 2008 and most recently in 2017, uniting AC Milan and the Wolves/Hawks. At Schoolcraft College, Rick guided the Ocelots to the top spot in the NJCAA in 2011, a position they held for 6 weeks and finished the season 22-0-1. Since taking over at Schoolcraft, the Ocelots have participated on the national stage numerous times and most significantly include Final Four appearances in 2009 and 2017, and the program's first appearance in a national championship game in 2017. In 2018 Rick achieved a milestone, his 200th victory. As a Wolves Academy coach, Rick is able to use his college experience and connections to help players plan college recruiting desires and then help facilitate college opportunities.
Rick and his wife Kari currently reside in Northville with their children, Kellen (15) and Summer (11), and their two canines Bebetto and Lizzie.
Rick has been a student of the game his whole coaching career and holds qualifications from three different continants. He has the US Soccer 'A' License and International Audit Belgium and Holland, US Youth Soccer 'National Youth' License, the Asian Futbol Confederation "B" License, the Football Federation Victoria Senior License (Australia), Coerver Coaching's Youth Diploma, AC Milan Coaching Certification and a Bachelor of Science Degree from Central Michigan University.
- Wolves Leadership Group 2019-present
- Wolves Academy Head Coach 2017-present
- Wolves coach 1998-2001 and 2017-present
- WolvesHawks Technical Advisor 2017-2019
- Schoolcraft College Men's Soccer Head Coach 2006-present
- AC Milan Director of Coaching 2014-2017
- Livonia City Soccer Club Director of Coaching 2008-2014
- Livonia Soccer Club Technical Director 2002-2008
- Lahser High School Girl's Soccer Head Coach 2004-2006
- Oakland University Women's Soccer Associate Head Coach 2001-2003
- Madonna University Women's Soccer Head Coach 1998-2000
- Madonna University Men's Soccer Assistant Coach 1995-2000
- Northville Soccer Club Director of Coaching 2001-2002
- MSYSA ODP Staff 1995-2017
- MSYSA Coaching Education Staff 1998-2017
- Bishop Foley Girl's Soccer Head Coach 1995-2000
- Clarenceville High School Boy's Soccer Head Coach 1996
- Brother Rice High School Boy's Soccer JV Coach 1993-1995